Improvements in egg freezing, or oocyte cryopreservation, offer the possibility of extending fertility to women who wish to postpone childbearing to complete their education, establish their career and/or find a loving partner with whom to start a family. Additionally egg freezing may benefit women who are undergoing treatment for cancer or other medical conditions or those who have a genetic condition that could affect their fertility later in life.
Although the process of fast freezing, or vitrification, improves the chances of successfully thawing eggs without destroying them, egg freezing does not guarantee future parenthood. The quantity and quality of a woman’s ovarian reserve decreases with age making pregnancy more difficult to achieve whether naturally or through assisted reproduction with fresh or frozen eggs. There are many factors to consider in making the decision to freeze eggs.
Please contact me to discuss these questions:
- What does the ovarian stimulation and retrieval process involve and how do I prepare myself for the treatment cycle?
- What are the potential consequences of freezing egg s in my 20s? In my 30s?
- Am I prepared to learn information about my fertility? How will I cope with negative news?
- Is egg freezing associated with physical risks to me or to my potential child?
- Do I have the emotional, social and financial resources to consider egg freezing?
- How will I feel if I have unused frozen eggs either because I had children without using them or I decided not to have children? What will I do with my unused eggs?
- How do I think that having frozen eggs will affect my views on work and relationships?
- Do I understand that egg freezing offers possibilities but not guarantees?
As a psychologist with expertise in egg freezing, reproductive health and psychotherapy, I will create an open environment for you to explore your thoughts and ideas about your educational, career and relationship aspirations and will provide you with information to facilitate your decision making about whether egg freezing is a good option for you.